Thursday 6 February 2014

letters to baby: the mystery of "you"



A LETTER TO BABY...
FEBRUARY 6th, 2014, 1:11pm

Oh baby, it's strange that we haven't officially met yet. 

You've been kicking me from the inside now for a very long time, and I've been busy designing a lovely bedroom for you and filling it with things I think you'll like…and I definitely know more about you than last time I wrote. 

For instance, I know you're going to be very smart (like your father) because you've been stealing all of my brain power since the day you were created. I have trouble spitting out the words I'm trying to say, I'm completely lost when it comes to knowing what day of the week it is, and even my knowledge of movie quotes seems to be going out the window!

I also know that you're going to be very zen (which will go nicely with all of that wisdom). For months now you've been making me turn down the volume on just about everything. No more driving in the car with the music blasting -- nope! Apparently you prefer silence or just a little bit of soothing music in the background. And after the length of a 42-minute TV show, you're over it. You prefer me to be tucked into bed with a book. 

And on every ultrasound you've been practising yoga, with your feet up in the air by your head, and even a cross-legged position a few times.

You're definitely a little bit like me though, what with all the napping we've been doing.

You're conscientious like your father; this we know for sure. You've never given me nausea that lasted more than 5 minutes (and only in the first few weeks at that!). You've never given me back pain, heartburn, swelling of the feet, or any of that other unpleasant stuff.

I appreciate it. 

It makes me excited to finally meet you in person…

To hold your little hand, count your little toes, and dress you up in adorably manly outfits. 

And once we meet, I know I'll never be able to imagine not knowing you. 

For now, I'm enjoying the mystery of "you." I'm spending my (numbered) days in this old life thinking of the joys that are just around the corner. Enjoying our zen time together with the volume down.

Oh baby, how is it possible that I love you already?

love, 
mom

No comments:

Post a Comment